Community 263 articles

San Fran Ban (Circumcision)
San Fran Ban (Circumcision)
San Francisco, go figure. Jews and Muslims may be divided on Jerusalem, but the Golden Gate Bridge city has managed to bridge the divide on a different issue of common interest:...
Dec 14, 2010
By Joyce Schur
Strengthening Professionals so as to Strengthen Their Shuls
Strengthening Professionals so as to Strengthen Their Shuls
“Go. Transform. Be blessed.” These poetic words from Marvin Schenker, Executive Director of the Young Israel of Lawrence-Cedarhurst on Long Island, NY, was the farewell blessing at the Orthodox Union’s Third...
Dec 14, 2010
By Beth Cohen
Saturday, the Rabbi Didn’t Sleep Late!
Saturday, the Rabbi Didn’t Sleep Late!
Last Shabbat, Minnesota was socked with a blizzard that was noteworthy even in a community used to such events. Because it was Shabbat, synagogues would be affected. Was it Shabbat as...
Dec 14, 2010
By Rabbi Chaim Goldberger & Bob Kusnetz
Silent Slaughtering of Souls
Silent Slaughtering of Souls
In Jewish context, whenever I hear the term “survivor”, the immediate word-association is “holocaust”. There are different types of holocausts and different sorts of survivors, but from time immemorial there has...
Oct 28, 2010
By Joyce Schur
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About RSS Feeds (But Were Afraid to Ask), and More!
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About RSS Feeds...
My mother, who at age 60 something attained enlightenment by earning the coveted Microsoft Certified Service Administration certification, absolutely bowled me over the other day with one of her 2 sentence...
Oct 26, 2010
By Joyce Schur
Op-Ed: There’s No Place for Bullying in God’s World
Op-Ed: There’s No Place for Bullying in God’s World
This article first appeared October 17 in JTA I was saddened to hear of the death of Tyler Clementi, an 18-year-old college student driven to suicide by bullying over his sexual...
Oct 20, 2010
By Rabbi Steven Burg
Safety Net Failure: Preventing Child Abuse
Safety Net Failure: Preventing Child Abuse
The saddest conversation I ever had took place a few years back with an out-of-town niece. She’d come to visit for a few precious days and at the end of our...
Oct 10, 2010
By Joyce Schur
Making Your Synagogue More Inclusive: Welcoming the Disabled
Making Your Synagogue More Inclusive: Welcoming the Disabled
Create a “buddy system” in which volunteers help a special needs child follow along in the siddur during davening and in the Chumash during the Torah reading. Organize a “Special Needs...
Aug 20, 2010
By Dr. Jeffrey Lichtman
Politics & Parsha: Ki Teitzei 5770 – Communal Pressure
Politics & Parsha: Ki Teitzei 5770 – Communal Pressure
Each week IPA staff and guest contributors take a look at the weekly parsha and discuss it in a way you may never have seen. Any hashkafic, halachic or political opinions...
Aug 15, 2010
By Howie Beigelman
Sums: A Whole Community
Sums: A Whole Community
Avraham Ballen is a bright 14-year old boy from Monsey with long side curls who loves Torah study, music and sports. He often helps his older brother, Yosef Binyamin, daven (pray)....
Jul 9, 2009
By Eric Ackland

Discover More

email logo

Subscribe To The OU’s Shabbat Shalom Weekly Newsletter

Weekly email newsletter filled with articles, Divrei Torah, upcoming events and more! Sign up today.