Please note: fresh fruit and vegetables need to be inspected for insect infestation. Please consult our guide
- 1 cup water
- 4 oz. margarine (100 g or ½ a cup)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1½ cups fine matzah meal
- 5 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Heat the water, margarine and salt in a pot until the margarine is melted
- Bring this mixture to a boil, remove from the flame and add all the matzoh meal into the pot at once, stirring very quickly..
- Return to low heat and cook for 1 minute.
- Keep stirring. The dough should come away from the sides of the pot and form a rough ball.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Beat in 1 egg.
- When the dough is smooth and the egg has been fully incorporated into it, beat in another.
- Keep doing this until all 5 eggs have been added and the mixture is completely smooth. (You will get your daily exercise if you do this by hand with a wooden spoon)
- Spread the dough thinly on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper in the form of a pizza pie. Wet your fingers with cold water to better form the pies. You can make one large or several smaller crusts.
I would go with the smaller crusts, as the dough bakes into a delicate”bread” and one large crust may not be supportive enough.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the crusts can hold their shape
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Afterwards, you can put on your sauce, cheese and toppings and bake for another 15- 20 minutes .
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.