- 2 cups Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2/3 cup Pareve margarine
- 1/3 to ½ cup Orange Juice
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 cups apples; peeled, cored and sliced
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup stale breadcrumbs or cake
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Mix flour and salt; rub margarine into flour mix until the dough is crumbly like small peas. Stir in orange juice gradually, mixing with wooden spoon, until dough cleans the bowl. Use only as much orange juice as needed. Cover, chill for 1 hour.
- Roll out 2/3 of dough on a floured board into a 10 inch square.
- Place into a greased 8-inch pan so the dough comes up around the sides of the pan.
- Combine the filling ingredients; spread evenly on the crust.
- Roll out the remaining piece of dough into a 9-inch square and put over filling.
- Moisten edges around the pan, and press both sides together to seal. Prick top of crust with a fork. (My recipe source always brushes the top with a beaten egg mixed with water and then sprinkled top with a cinnamon-sugar mix. I omit that)
- Bake at 400°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until brown
- Cut into squares and serve warm
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.