Please note: fresh fruit and vegetables need to be inspected for insect infestation. Please consult our guide
I did some research on the South African Kichel and I found out that it is different then the Kichel we are accustomed to here in the States. Here is the recipe. Hope this will satisfy your husbands cravings……Don’t forget to send me some, although I will probably try this one myself as well.
- 4 Eggs
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Oil
- 3 cups Self Rising Flour
- Extra Sugar for Topping
- Preheat Oven to 425°F
- Beat Eggs, Sugar & Oil together
- Gradually add the flour till you get a soft workable dough.
- Roll out very thin on a well floured surface.
- cut into 2½ inch squares and place on well oiled baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with additional Sugar
- Turn down the temp in the oven to 375°F
- Place in Oven and bake until the squares are a very very light golden color.
P. S. Don’t forget the Herring to go along with it!!
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.
Like this article?
Sign up for our Shabbat Shalom e-newsletter, a weekly roundup of inspirational thoughts, insight into current events, divrei torah, relationship advice, recipes and so much more!