Just in time for shavuot comes the latest in the Made Easy series from authors Leah Schapira and Victoria Dwek.
Discover easy-to-prep dishes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert. From a 30-Minute Thin Crust Pizza to a Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream, your milchig recipe arsenal just received a welcome boost.
Here are a couple of recipes to get you started:
3 to 4 servings
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch coarse black pepper
- 1 (24-inch) baguette
- Shredded cheese
- 3 long wooden skewers
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add pepper and sauté for an additional 3 minutes. Season with basil, salt, and pepper.
- Cut off the ends of the baguette; discard ends or reserve for another purpose. Slice baguette into 1½ inch thick slices (you should have about 15 slices). Slit each slice through the top, leaving the lower end uncut.
- Thread each skewer through uncut (lower) part of 5 slices. Add vegetable mixture and cheese into each slit. Place skewers onto prepared baking sheet, cheese side up.
- Place baking sheet on upper oven rack (top quarter of oven) and bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top of bread is slightly browned.
- Remove skewers and serve mini sandwiches alongside a salad and dipping sauces.
- Serve these sandwiches alongside a selection of dressings, such as our Creamy Parmesan Dressing on page 54, Pesto Mayo Dressing on page 56, or Garlic Dressing on page 62.
- You can experiment with different cheeses inside your Hasselback Baguettes. We like Natural & Kosher’s Mexican blend.
Baked Roasted Veggie Pasta
- 1 lb. fusilli or penne pasta
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 zucchini, cut into half moons
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Coarse black pepper, to taste
- 6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh or frozen basil
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a 9×13-inch pan, combine cherry tomatoes, red onions, and zucchini. Toss with olive oil and garlic powder. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta to vegetables and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to broil and broil for 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes.
- Add feta cheese and basil; stir to combine (the heat will melt the cheese). Serve hot or at room temperature.
- You can add more veggies to the mix. We also love this pasta with red peppers instead of tomatoes.
- We made the pasta in this photo using broken lasagna sheets.
Recipes from Dairy Made Easy by Leah Schapira and Victoria Dwek
Reprinted with permission from the copyright holders: ArtScroll/Mesorah Publications