Just in time for shavuot comes the latest in the Made Easy series from authors Leah Schapira and Victoria Dwek.
Discover easy-to-prep dishes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert. From a 30-Minute Thin Crust Pizza to a Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream, your milchig recipe arsenal just received a welcome boost.
Here are a couple of recipes to get you started:
Yield: 3-4 servings
2 Tbsp oil
1 small red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp kosher salt
pinch coarse black pepper
1 (24-in) baguette
3 long wooden skewers
1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add pepper and sauté for an additional 3 minutes. Season with basil, salt, and pepper.
3. Cut off the ends of the baguette; discard ends or reserve for another purpose. Slice baguette into 1 1/2 inch thick slices (you should have about 15 slices). Slit each slice through the top, leaving the lower end uncut.
4. Thread each skewer through uncut (lower) part of 5 slices. Add vegetable mixture and cheese into each slit. Place skewers onto prepared baking sheet, cheese side up.
5. Place baking sheet on upper oven rack (top quarter of oven) and bake for 4-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top of bread is slightly browned.
6. Remove skewers and serve mini sandwiches alongside a salad and dipping sauces.
• Serve these sandwiches alongside a selection of dressings, such as our Creamy Parmesan Dressing on page 54, Pesto Mayo Dressing on page 56, or Garlic Dressing on page 62.
• You can experiment with different cheeses inside your Hasselback Baguettes. We like Natural & Kosher’s Mexican blend.
Baked Roasted Veggie Pasta
Yields: 8 servings
1 lb fusilli or penne pasta
2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
2 red onions, cut into wedges
1 zucchini, cut into half moons
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
kosher salt, to taste
coarse black pepper, to taste
6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1 Tbsp chopped fresh or frozen basil
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a 9 x 13-inch pan, combine cherry tomatoes, red onions, and zucchini. Toss with olive oil and garlic powder. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add pasta to vegetables and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat oven to broil and broil for 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes.
5. Add feta cheese and basil; stir to combine (the heat will melt the cheese). Serve hot or at room temperature.
• You can add more veggies to the mix. We also love this pasta with red peppers instead of tomatoes.
• We made the pasta in this photo using broken lasagna sheets.
Recipes from Dairy Made Easy by Leah Schapira and Victoria Dwek
Reprinted with permission from the copyright holders: ArtScroll/Mesorah Publications