Please note: fresh fruit and vegetables need to be inspected for insect infestation. Please consult our guide
- 2½ teaspoons (1 envelope) dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup lukewarm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Mix the yeast, sugar, 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup flour together in a bowl and let proof for 10 minutes. Mixture should look frothy.
- Add remaining flour, salt and olive oil and mix well. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 8-10 minutes or until dough is elastic and smooth. Alternately you can do this with the dough hook in a heavy duty mixer. Dough should feel moist and tender. If it’s too stiff, add a bit more water.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and turn to coat it evenly.
- Cover and let rise in a warm spot in kitchen (at least 75 degrees) for 1-2 hours
Yield: 1 large rectangular pizza
For the Sauce:
- 10¾ oz. tomato puree
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- ¾ Tablespoon dehydrated onion (or saute 1/2 of a chopped onion)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1½ teaspoon oregano seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (optional) (grind in hand)
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add ingredients to saucepan and cook on a low flame.
- Add water to meet desired consistency.
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.