Please note: fresh fruit and vegetables need to be inspected for insect infestation. Please consult our guide
I came upon this recipe for Little Kichel. Let me know if this works for you.
Yields about 20 kichel
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sweet red wine
- ½ to 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- Vegetable oil or Crisco for deep-frying
- Confectioners’ (powdered) sugar
- Beat the egg well
- Add salt, wine, and gradually the flour until you have a sticky elastic dough, almost like the consistency of molasses
- Flour your hands and break off pieces not much bigger than a marble
- Roll out paper-thin on a floured surface
- Cut in segments approximately 2 by 4 inches (dough the size of a large marble will make about 3), or cut on the diagonal very thin strips or whatever shape you wish
- Pour about 2 inches of oil into a heavy frying pan and heat to 375°F (190°C)
- Slide the strips carefully into the hot oil
- Let cook a few seconds on each side. Soon they will bubble and puff up like hazenblosen
- Remove with a spatula and drain on paper towels
- When cool sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. (You will probably want to eliminate the powdered sugar)
- Eat immediately or let sit, covered well, for one day with plastic wrap.
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.