Here is a basic yellow cake recipe: Let me know if it works for you. I always like to hear from my followers.
- ¾ cup margarine, butter or shortening
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk (or pareve soy milk)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2¼ cups cake flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a 10″ round pan.
- Place all ingredients in bowl of electric mixer. Mix on low speed until thoroughly combined, scraping bowl frequently.
- Increase speed to medium and beat for four minutes.
- Pour into pan; smooth top of batter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until cake tests done. Do not overbake.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove cake from pan and continue cooling on rack.
7.6.06 Update: By the way, Manischewitz came out with a yellow cake mix which is Pareve. If any of you try it, please let me know if/how it compares with the Duncan Hines mix.
11.1.06 Update: Duncan-Hines is taking the dairy ingredients out of their mixes, and they will once again be certified OU Pareve.
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.