Please note: fresh fruit and vegetables need to be inspected for insect infestation. Please consult our guide
About 6 servings
- 1 loaf stale sliced white bread
- 4 Tablespoons (½ stick) margarine
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Pareve milk
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease with margarine 3-quart casserole dish.
- Butter (with margarine) both sides of bread slices, place on tin foil, and put into oven. Toast slices on both sides.
- Place raisins in bowl of hot water to plump. Cover, soak for 20 minutes, and drain.
- Combine sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Break up toasted bread, and put in casserole dish. Add drained raisins. Pour egg mixture over bread, and stir.
- Bake 40 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.
Like this article?
Sign up for our Shabbat Shalom e-newsletter, a weekly roundup of inspirational thoughts, insight into current events, divrei torah, relationship advice, recipes and so much more!