Please note: fresh fruit and vegetables need to be inspected for insect infestation. Please consult our guide
- 1 lb. cubed stew meat
- 3 to 4 potatoes, cut up
- 1 to 2 cups cholent mix
- ½ cup to 1 cup barley
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- Salt, garlic powder & paprika to taste
- Soak beans and Barley overnight
- Saute’ the onions till lightly brown. Add the cubed meat and saute’ until medium done
- Drain the water from the soaked beans and place all the ingredients in a crock pot (if you are using one)
- Add enough water to cover, about two inches above
- Cook on high for a few hours and then reduce to the low setting for the duration
I have tried experimenting with adding a little ketchup and Maggi seasoning with good results. Enjoy!
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.
Like this article?
Sign up for our Shabbat Shalom e-newsletter, a weekly roundup of inspirational thoughts, insight into current events, divrei torah, relationship advice, recipes and so much more!