Right now, between the 1st and 9th of Av, we are careful not to eat meat as it is a period of mourning of the destruction of the Holy Temple. We hope for the coming of Moshiach speedily in our days and the return of the Holy Temple in Jerusalem-for the time when these days will become days of joy.
While not eating meat during these nine days, you can still meet your protein intake by substituting soy. Soy comes in several forms: soybean, soymilk, tofu, etc.
Soybeans contains 8 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein similar to eggs or chicken. One slice of firm tofu (2.86 oz) contains: 13g protein, 2g fiber, 0.5g omega-3 fatty acids, 55% daily value of calcium, 12% daily value iron and magnesium, 20% daily value selenium, 9% vitamin B1, and 6% folic acid.
Kosher status: Soybeans are kosher in their raw, natural form. Buying tofu? Make sure the package has a kosher symbol.
Here is a meat-less, protein- and nutrient-packed dinner option for the whole family! Make them and serve, or put out the options and have family members choose what they want in a DIY burrito.
- 1 package whole wheat tortillas
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
Burrito fillings (feel free to add your own favorites!):
- 1 package tofu and sauce of choice (soy sauce, teriyaki sauce)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- Half bag of chopped salad
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 ripe avocadoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the tofu: Slice and place on greased baking sheet. Drizzle with soy or teriyaki sauce and bake until browned, flipping halfway through.
- Prepare the avocado: Chop up and add lemon, salt, pepper to taste, mix until it becomes easy to spread.
- Prepare the onion: Sauté in a pan with 3 tablespoons olive oil until golden brown.
- Make and bake option: Spoon a line of marinara sauce onto 1 tortilla. Add 1 spoonful of each desired filling. Wrap up the tortilla like a burrito. Spoon a line of marinara sauce on top and sprinkle cheese, bake for 10 minutes or until tortilla begins to brown.
Self-service option: Place out all the ingredients in serving bowls and lay out the tortillas. Encourage family members to fill their burritos with their choice of ingredients, can eat as is or pop in the oven to bake for 10 minutes for a crispier taste.
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.