Please note: fresh fruit and vegetables need to be inspected for insect infestation. Please consult our guide
This is an amazingly quick recipe IF you have really good chicken stock or leftover chicken soup. It’s important to have a really good base to have a flavorful soup!
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, finely chopped
- ½ red chili pepper, seeds removed for less heat
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh basil
- Prepare pot on high heat. Add olive oil and get hot. Add leeks and chili pepper and mix well let cook for 5 minutes, mixing periodically.
- Add rest of ingredients except basil. Bring to boil and turn down. Let cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn off and add fresh basil when ready to serve. Add salt to taste.
Notes and Tips:
If you have a stock that doesn’t have much flavor, your soup won’t either. So always try to have stock in your freezer or make this when you have leftover chicken soup (which you strain and then follow this recipe!)
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.
Like this article?
Sign up for our Shabbat Shalom e-newsletter, a weekly roundup of inspirational thoughts, insight into current events, divrei torah, relationship advice, recipes and so much more!