Sweet potatoes are some of nature’s finest treats and can accompany your Rosh Hashanah table with style. They contribute as a sweet and nutritious side dish, satisfying as well as bursting with calcium, potassium, and vitamins A and C. Try this version of the traditional sweet potato for this holiday season!
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1+ Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Preheat oven to 415°F.
- Wrap sweet potatoes in foil and bake for 50 minutes or until tender.
- Remove potatoes and slice each potato lengthwise. Scoop out the inside leaving only a thin layer remaining at the edges. Set aside shell and scooped-out potato.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onions, pepper, and garlic for 5-7 minutes.
- Add black beans, sea salt, and more olive oil if necessary. Continue to sauté for 3-5 more minutes.
- Add the scooped-out sweet potato to the bean mixture and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Fill each potato with the stuffing.
- Top with a squeeze of lime and/or a drizzle of olive oil, serve warm. (recipe adapted from greatist.com and thefitchen.com)
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.