Core and freeze a head of Cabbage for about a week. Defrost on the counter overnight. This will wilt the leaves and make them easy to work with. Peel off the leaves and if you have a lot more , you can double the recipe below.
- 10 large cabbage leaves
- 2 (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup sugar (or more to your taste)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Enough lemon juice so the sauce is sweet & sour to your taste
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine ½ cup tomato sauce, beef, rice, onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder, mixing well
- Put 1/3 cup meat mixture in center of cabbage leaves and fold 2 opposite ends over (like making a blintz).
- Place rolls, seam side down in a lightly-greased 8″ baking dish. Cover tightly and bake for 1½ hours at 350°F.
- Take out from oven and drain the liquid. Discard.
- Combine remaining tomato sauce, sugar and lemon juice. Pour over cabbage rolls, cover and bake at 350°F for 1½ hours.
- Remove cabbage rolls to serving platter and drain tomato sauce mixture into a sauce pot.
- Combine cornstarch and water, stirring until smooth. Stir into tomato sauce mixture. Bring to a boil over a medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Boil 1 minute and pour over cabbage rolls. Enjoy!!
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.