Please note: fresh fruit and vegetables need to be inspected for insect infestation. Please consult our guide
- ½ cup nonhydrogenated shortening
- ½ cup nonhydrogenated margarine
- 3½ cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy
- Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes
- Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy
I found the above recipe. Earth Balance makes a non-hydrogenated margarine and Shortening,and I would think that you can substitute Rice Milk for the Soy Milk.
As for the food coloring, I found a product online that might be what you are looking for.
So give it a try and let me know. Good Luck!
-The Kitchenner Rebbe
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.
Like this article?
Sign up for our Shabbat Shalom e-newsletter, a weekly roundup of inspirational thoughts, insight into current events, divrei torah, relationship advice, recipes and so much more!