It’s Chanukah time! A time to celebrate, spin dreidels and overload on oily fattening foods. Wait…Is it possible to eat more health-consciously on Chanukah, to enjoy the “oil” factor of the miracle while increasing our nutrition panel at the same time?
In terms of latkes, potatoes are a good vegetable with a profile of Vitamin C, Vitamin B-6, potassium, carbohydrates, and some fiber and magnesium. They are filling and average about 150 calories per potato. However when grated and fried, latkes can become high-calorie dishes.
Other vegetables and tubers rank much lower on the glycemic scale than the regular potato and can add additional vitamins and minerals. Our recommendation would be to mix and match some veggies into your favorite potato latke recipe, adding some color, nutrients, and fun tastes and textures.
Classic Potato Latke Recipe with a Twist
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, shredded potato (about 1 large potato)
*Grate or shred the potatoes into a bowl of cold water to prevent browning
- 1 1/4 cups peeled, shredded carrots or zucchini
- 1 1/4 cups peeled, shredded sweet potato
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup flour (can use whole wheat)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp oil, divided (can use olive oil, grape seed oil, sesame oil, etc.)
- 2 large egg whites or 1 egg
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a colander or strainer lined with paper towels; let drain and squeeze excess moisture from potato mixture
- Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl. Add onion, flour, and pepper. Toss well; stir in egg whites/egg.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon 1/3 cup batter for each latke into pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and batter. Serve immediately for best results.
Adapted from www.myrecipes.com
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.
Like this article?
Sign up for our Shabbat Shalom e-newsletter, a weekly roundup of inspirational thoughts, insight into current events, divrei torah, relationship advice, recipes and so much more!