.Please note: fresh fruit and vegetables need to be inspected for insect infestation. Please consult our guide
Here is a recipe I’ve made numerous times for Mousaka.
- 2 medium eggplants
- Oil for frying
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 teaspoon crushed Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce
- Cut off ends of Eggplant. Do not peel. Slice the long way and sprinkle with salt. Rinse off after a half hour and pat dry. Fry the eggplant slices till golden brown on both sides and set aside.
- Saute the Onion in the oil then add all the other ingredients Cook till the meat is cooked and set aside.
White Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons margarine
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt Margarine & add the Flour. Stir for a few minutes on low heat. Add the water and cook till it thickens.
- Beat the eggs and add a drop of the flour mixture to the beaten eggs. Now slowly add the eggs to the flour mixture and stir till smooth. Add the salt & Pepper to taste.
- Cool mixture. Now you are ready to assemble the Mousaka.
- In a 9×13-inch pan, spread a third of the eggplant. Cover with half the Meat Sauce. Next another third of the Eggplant & the remaining Meat sauce. Next add Half the White sauce, then the remaining Eggplant and top with the remaining White Sauce.
- Bake at 350°F for about 40 Minutes.
Let me know how it came out.
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.