Fruit is a delicious and natural source of daily nutrients, vitamins, and carbohydrates. Many fruits can be purchased organically and even locally at farmers’ markets or grocery stores, and are less expensive than buying pre-packaged snacks and sweets.
Fresh fruit can be kept on-hand for snacking, frozen for smoothies, cut up in salads, or used for decorating cakes and desserts. Fresh fruit generally has no concern for additives or preservatives, and provides many of the additional benefits of a healthy diet such as increased energy, healthy skin, etc.
All fresh natural fruit is kosher as long as there are no additives. If purchasing fruit from Israel, please be aware of the laws of terumah, ma’aser, and shemittah.
The fruits below each boast a unique nutritional profile:
- Peach: Good source of Vitamin C
- Pineapple: Vitamin B6, excellent source of Manganese and Vitamin C
- Banana: Contains Fiber, Vitamin C, Potassium
- Apricot: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Potassium, Fiber
- Blueberries: Fiber, Vitamin C, Antioxidants
- Walnuts: Protein, Fiber, Great source of Antioxidants
- Apple Concentrate: Good source of Fiber
Here’s a fresh and healthy fruit salad to enjoy this summer!
Fresh Fruit Salad
- 1 pineapple: peeled, cored, chopped
- 1 peach, pitted and chopped
- 1 banana, peeled and chopped
- 25 blueberries
- 1 apricot, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup apple concentrate
- Combine all fruit pieces in a bowl. Pour apple concentrate over arranged fruit and stir to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle nuts on top.
(recipe adapted from: allrecipes.com)