Great to munch on as a snack, as a crunchy topping in salad, or as a thickening ingredient in recipes, cashews add many nutrients to our daily palate.
These little nuts are known for their good and healthy oils and fats that fuel the body with energy and promote healthy skin and hair. They are full of antioxidants, are a good source of protein, fiber, and iron, and they contain copper, manganese, magnesium, and phosphorus.
Here’s a simple dessert that offers up a creamy texture, sweet taste, and uses natural ingredients.
Banana Cashew Pie
- 1¼ cups cashews soaked for at least 4 hours or overnight, drained
- 3½ Tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 medium ripe banana (½ cup mashed)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pie crust
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Fresh banana for slices on top (optional)
- Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth about 1 to 2 minutes. If difficult to blend, add honey or water as needed.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Pour into crust and smooth with a spoon. Cover and freeze until set (about 4 to 6 hours).
- Let thaw for 5 minutes before serving. For presentation slice a banana and arrange on top if desired.
Adapted from minimalistbaker.com
The words of this author reflect his/her own opinions and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Orthodox Union.
Like this article?
Sign up for our Shabbat Shalom e-newsletter, a weekly roundup of inspirational thoughts, insight into current events, divrei torah, relationship advice, recipes and so much more!