Blueberries are power-packed with phytochemicals, studied for their possible anti-cancer, anti-neurodegenerative, and anti-inflammatory qualities. These little berries contain 14% of the recommended daily value of fiber and almost 25% of the daily value of Vitamin C for a one cup serving. They have the most antioxidants of any fruit. They can be a good health boost for your kids at school and a great pick-me-up alternative to coffee for your workday.
Here is our favorite antioxidant-charged blueberry smoothie:
Berrykale Fairytale Smoothie (Serves 2)
Ingredients: 1 cup blueberries 2 cups water, any milk/soymilk, or any juice (take your pick!) 2 kale leaves 1 banana
- Put half the liquid in blender.
- Wash fresh blueberries under cold running water, put in blender. Blend together with the liquid.
- Soak kale in basin of soapy water for a few minutes, move around to agitate, rinse each leaf under running water. Repeat washing process; add to blender.
- Add banana and remaining liquid, blend again until smooth.
- With this ratio, you can’t taste the kale! Kid and husband approved.
- Washing veggies and fruits and checking for bugs is a requirement in Jewish law. When blending in a smoothie, one must still wash with soap and water and agitate, however in this case it is unnecessary to check the kale against a light source as one would do if eating as is.
- For a chillier summer treat, use frozen bananas and blueberries (it’s easy to peel bananas and store in the freezer, both for smoothies and to eat as popsicles).
- We do this step-by-step blending process in a lower quality blender for a smoother ride. High quality blender? Throw it all in at once and blend for a tasty, healthy smoothie.
(adapted from wholeliving.com)