How to Design a Brochure when you don’t have a $15,000 budget

hero image

Synablog623x221

Rabbi Einhorn’s SynaBlog is a new innovative blog that shares tips, tactics, strategies and best practices that enable Shul growth and promote Shul vitality.

Last week on the Synablog we discussed the significance of having a Shul brochure. Immediately following the release of that blog post my inbox was flooded with the question: so how do design one a shoe string budget? Great question!

First of all, the age old adage may often ring true – you pay for what you get. If you pay zero you get zero. Therefore on one hand it may be worth your while to explore high end options.

99Designs.com, whom I’ve recommended in a past blog is a great option for mid-range prices. The only downside is that sometimes that back and forth to make changes once you purchase the item from them and the flexibility you need to make those changes isn’t always there. If you have somebody in house who play around with a PSD file once you buy it from the winning designer on 99Designs.com then it’s worth it.

There is another way of looking at this. Instead of having the designers vie for your attention with different designs you can scan through a database of designers at www.odesk.com. By the way, if you need a web designer they are great for that!

2 cost efficient options:

1) Fiverr.com – I have recommended them before for other projects but I don’t recommend them for the brochure. The sophistication that you’re going to need, constant changes, and professionalism are just not there. Well, what do you expect for $5.00?

2) My #1 recommendation is a design company I stumbled upon: Their name is London Kay. Their designers have a brilliant and out of the box approach. You can stay in constant contact with them for all changes. And their prices are terrific. If you’re looking for something different that really pops – reach out to them:

londonkb@gmail.com310.617.0645 Journey History

Here are some samples of the amazing work that they’ve done for me:

If you would like to get an idea of what a great brochure looks like, check out these amazing brochures from Boca Raton Synagogue and Young Israel of Century City

To receive the OU Synablog to your inbox, please click here to sign up.

Rabbi Shlomo Einhorn is a Musmach of Yeshiva University. He has served as the founder of WINGS a Synagogue Consulting group. Prior to moving to Los Angeles, Rabbi Einhorn was the Rabbi of Manhattan’s West Side Institutional Synagogue where he helped grow the membership by 70% over 4 years. Currently, he is the Rav and Dean of Yeshivat Yavneh.