Burn & Scald Prevention
Chanukah Specific Reminders
- Keep the menorah away from curtains or any other
- Keep the menorahs away from the reach of small
- When making latkes, keep ALL children away from
the hot oil.
- When making latkes, remember to turn frying pan
handles away from the edge of the stove, so that they do not get knocked
over and cause the oil to be spilled.
Sabbath and Holiday Candles General Reminders:
- Never place candles near or under anything
- Keep Shabbat, Yom Tov, Chanukah, and Yahrzeit
candles on sideboards, out of the reach of small children.
- If candles are on the table, keep them in the
center where they are less likely to be pulled down by a small child.
- The following are common locations in which
candles are placed and which cause household fires – under kitchen
cabinets, near window curtains, any location a young child can easily
reach to pull the candles down, any location a family pet can knock
- When lighting and blessing candles, women in
particular need to insure that they do not accidentally set their
sleeves on fire when they put their hands over the flames. They must
also be very careful of their hair.
- When lighting multiple Sabbath candles, families
need to be aware of the high amount of heat the candles generate.
Create a safe place in the house in which multiple candles can be lit.
Sometimes a safe place might need to be built which is non-flammable and
away from small children’s hands.
From New York-Presbyterian -
The University Hospitals of Columbia and Cornell