OU JOB BOARD AND LOCAL COLLEGE ANNOUNCE SUMMER COURSES TO PREPARE JOB SEEKERS FOR SATISFYING CAREERS;
CLASSES ALSO TO BE AVAILABLE NATIONALLY ONLINE
Back by popular demand this summer, The Orthodox Union Job Board, in conjunction with Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC), have combined efforts to create the OU Job Board “College” to help individuals advance their skills to enter or move up in the workplace. Job seekers now have the opportunity to learn the need-to-know software required in today’s marketplace. This summer, the classes will also be available online, giving those outside the New York area the opportunity to attend as well.
Classes will be held for two hours each, for six weeks.
“We are able to give a person the ability to walk into an interview after six weeks and have a solid knowledge at their fingertips to run an entire office,” declared Michael Rosner, Director of OU Job Board. “Since we first began offering these classes a year and a half ago, 2,600 people have been empowered.”
Beginning July 12, classes will be held at the BMCC location in lower Manhattan at 25 Broadway, where separate lab classes are being provided exclusively to the OU Job Board. The new computer lab provides participants with their own computer fully downloaded with the software of their choice.
Beginning July 19, courses will be available online via WebEx, a completely interactive chatroom.
Courses offered, based on skill level, include:
• Intuit Quickbooks: the most used and requested accounting software;
• Microsoft Word and Outlook: the most required office software;
• Microsoft Excel: the most required spreadsheet software;
• Microsoft PowerPoint: the most requested presentation software;
• Microsoft Access: the most used information software;
• Adobe Dreamweaver: tools for the “hottest” jobs relevant to website development and maintenance;
• Adobe Photoshop: the most requested graphic software: topics that will be covered include adjustments; filters; layers; and advertising effects;
• Adobe Illustrator: topics include compound path and masking; creating geometric shapes and drawing in Illustrator; drawing Disney characters with pen tools; and creating patterns/textiles with swatches palettes;
• Adobe InDesign: working with text; working with color; creating graphics; and exploring advanced techniques.
Registration for classes at BMCC is $72, which covers all courses. Classes are limited in size and are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Registration for the online classes is $50. A discount is available to anyone who registers for three or more different classes.
To register and for more information, go to www.oujobs.org or call 212-563-4000.
Like this article?
Sign up for our Shabbat Shalom e-newsletter, a weekly roundup of inspirational thoughts, insight into current events, divrei torah, relationship advice, recipes and so much more!