The Orthodox Union has signed on as a sponsor of Jew in the City’s 2013 Jewish All-Stars Awards Thanksgivvikuh Party, featuring U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Jack Lew and Nobel Laureate Robert Aumann, among the ten honorees.
Jew in the City (jewinthecity.com) is an organization founded by award-winning Jewish influencer Allison Josephs with the goal of re-branding Orthodox Jews and Judaism to the world through digital media and by doing so, to reverse the negative perception of Orthodox Jews and Judaism. “Our mission,” Ms. Josephs declares, is “to break down stereotypes about religious Jews and offer a humorous, meaningful outlook into Orthodox Judaism.”
The Second Annual Awards party will be held Sunday, November 24, just prior to Chanukah and Thanksgiving, on Manhattan’s West Side starting at 7:00PM. VIP red carpet pre-party is at 6:30. The exact location will be sent to those who have purchased tickets.
“While far too many stories in the media track alleged misdeeds of observant Jews — and there is ultimately nobody to blame for that except for those individuals — the overwhelmingly positive, beautiful contributions to society made by Torah-observant Jews often go unmentioned,” observed Rabbi Steven Weil, executive vice president of the Orthodox Union. “At JewInTheCity.com, Ms. Josephs skillfully employs social media, and heavy doses of candor, humor and wit, to correct misperceptions of Orthodox life held by Jews and non-Jews alike and, when appropriate, even seeks to set the record straight. Allison has taken on the role of PR agent for Torah Judaism and the Orthodox Union is proud to support her work.”
This year’s All-Stars include the following categories and individuals:
• Law and Government, Jack Lew, U.S. Treasury Secretary
• Law and Government, Joseph Shenker, Chairman of Sullivan and Cromwell
• Law and Government, Anne Neuberger, Director of the National Security Agency/Commercial Solutions Center
• Science and Medicine, Dr. Robert Aumann, of Israel, Nobel Laureate in Economic Sciences, 2005
• Science and Medicine, Dr. Laurel Steinherz, Director of Pediatric Cardiology at Memorial Sloan Kettering and Co-Founder of Camp Simcha for Jewish Children with Cancer
• Sports and Entertainment, Rama Burshtein, Director and Producer of “Fill the Void”
• Sports and Entertainment, Naama Shafir, of Israel, First Orthodox Professional Women’s Basketball Player
• Sports and Entertainment, Ari Pinchot, Co-Executive Producer of Lee Daniels’ “The Butler”
• Business and Industry, Rabbi Issamar Ginzberg, Inc. Top 10 Entrepreneur and Marketing Guru
• Business and Industry, Sarah Hofstetter, CEO of 360i U.S. Ad Agency
“This year’s All-Stars are an extremely accomplished and diverse group,” Ms. Josephs declared. “With the gala taking place right before the rare and historic confluence of Chanukah and Thanksgiving, we will celebrate the freedom our great country provides us which allows Jews to soar to the tops of their fields while staying true to their heritage.”
“Survivor” winner Ethan Zohn plans to attend, as do many of the honorees. The event is sponsored in memory of Yeshaya ben Moshe Mordechai Dov. Other sponsors include Freeda Wigs, Kosher Scene, Baker’s Dozen, Rock ‘n Roll Sushi, and Rabbi Daniel Cohen of Cong. Agudath Shalom in Stamford, CT.
The party is being planned by Sarah Lasry of Patchke Princess and Chanie Waxler of Buds Event Design. It will include an open wine and whiskey bar, live music by the Brooklyn Jazz Warriors, Chanukah/Thanksgiving themed foods, desserts, and an inspirational Orthodox Jewish All-Stars video.
Ticket prices begin at $40. They may be purchased from http://www.eventbrite.com/event/9081377645. Sponsorships (for VIP levels) can be made here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jitc-s-2013-orthodox-jewish-all-stars-awards-party-sunday-evening-november-24/x/134651
Like this article?
Sign up for our Shabbat Shalom e-newsletter, a weekly roundup of inspirational thoughts, insight into current events, divrei torah, relationship advice, recipes and so much more!