{{location.city}} {{location.region}} {{location.country}}
{{zmanim.engDateString}} / {{zmanim.hebDateString}} / {{zmanim.parsha_shabbos}}
~ {{formatTime(zmanim.sunrise)}} ~ {{formatTime(zmanim.sunset)}} Candles ~ Fri.{{formatTime(zmanim.candle_lighting_shabbos)}}

Life

Hundreds Gather for Midwest NCSY’s Annual Banquet

February 9, 2016, by

Hundreds of community members came to show their support for Midwest NCSY and what Honoree Mr. Jonah Bruck called the organization’s “lifesaving work,” at its Annual Banquet on January 31 at the Bryn Mawr Country Club. “NCSY is like Hatzolah. They are literally saving lives,” said Mr. Bruck who, together with wife Jo, were the

In College ‘Safe Spaces’ No Jews Allowed

February 5, 2016, by

From The Tower: When Arielle Mokhtarzadeh and Ben Rosenberg arrived at University of California, Berkeley on November 6 to attend the annual Students of Color Conference, they had no way of knowing that they would be leaving as victims of anti-Semitism. The University of California Student Association’s “oldest and largest conference,” the Students of Color Conference (SOCC)

Hundreds Attend Funeral of Slain Border Patrol Officer

February 5, 2016, by

From The Jerusalem Post: Hundreds of mourners gathered Thursday in Yehud ahead of the funeral procession for slain Border Police officer Hadar Cohen, who was killed in a terror attack the day before at Jerusalem’s Damascus Gate. The 19-year-old was buried in the central Israeli city’s military cemetery. Among those who paid t heir last

Rabbi Chaim Yisroel Belsky zt’l Passes Away

January 28, 2016, by

Rabbi Chaim Yisroel Belsky zt’l, senior halachic consultant for the Orthodox Union, a roshei yeshiva of Yeshiva Torah Vodaath and a luminary of Orthodox Judaism, passed away on January 28 after a battle with cancer. He was 77. “We at the Orthodox Union join the rest of the Jewish people in mourning the loss of Rav Chaim Yisroel

Holocaust Victims Return to Auschwitz 71 Years Later

January 28, 2016, by

Newser has an amazing photo gallery of Holocaust victims returning to Auschwitz: Dozens of elderly Holocaust survivors lit candles at Auschwitz on Wednesday, exactly 71 years after the Soviet army liberated the death camp that has become the most powerful symbol of the human suffering inflicted by Nazi Germany during World War II. The commemoration

ISIS Inspires Attacks on French Jews

January 25, 2016, by

From The New York Times: MARSEILLE, France — It was the heavy leather-bound volume of the Torah he was carrying that shielded Benjamin Amsellem from the machete blows. His attacker, a teenage fanatic who the police say was inspired by the Islamic State, was trying to decapitate Mr. Amsellem, a teacher at a local Jewish

The Shabbos Blizzard — Holding Down the Urban Fort

January 24, 2016, by

As I trod for several blocks through a few feet of snow and over waist-high snow banks, heading to Shacharis and then again to Maariv at K’hal Adath Jeshurun (KAJ/”Breuer’s”) in the face of a fierce north wind that drove the rapidly falling snow with extreme speed and intensity onto every available surface, so as to assure

German Jews No Longer Feel Safe

January 21, 2016, by

From The Jerusalem Post: The spokesman for Hamburg’s Jewish community, Daniel Killy, said deteriorating security in Germany has led to a highly dangerous situation for Jews. “No, we are no longer safe here,” Killy told the news outlet tagesschau.de on Tuesday. He said the disintegration of state power, excesses of the extreme right-wing, the loss

Teaching My Son with Asperger’s Syndrome to Forgive Himself

January 20, 2016, by

It is Shabbat afternoon and my son, who has been diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome, kicks our bedroom door until it breaks. We are all trapped in the bedroom— my husband and me, our son and our dog. My son screams that he wants to die and that we can’t possibly love him. When he discovers

Teen Palestinian Arrested for Murder of Dafna Meir

January 19, 2016, by

From the Times of Israel: A Palestinian minor suspected of stabbing and killing mother-of-six Dafna Meir at her home in the West Bank settlement of Otniel on Sunday evening was caught overnight Monday, security forces said. The suspect was arrested following “extensive operational and intelligence efforts” on the part of the IDF and the Shin

© 2016 Orthodox Union | All Rights Reserved