{{location.city}} {{location.region}} {{location.country}}
{{zmanim.engDateString}} / {{zmanim.hebDateString}} / {{zmanim.parsha_shabbos}}
~ {{formatTime(zmanim.sunrise)}} ~ {{formatTime(zmanim.sunset)}} Candles ~ Fri.{{formatTime(zmanim.candle_lighting_shabbos)}}

Two 16-year-old Chabad girls reported missing near Orlando found unharmed

April 12, 2016, by

From the JTA: Two 16-year-old girls from the Chabad-Lubavitch community who went missing during a Shabbat afternoon walk while on a class trip in Orlando, Florida, were found in a nearby area of densely wooded swampland. It took rescue teams more than an hour on Sunday morning to reach the girls, identified as Rivka Moshe and Brocha Katz,

North of Paris, a Beleaguered Jewish Community Dares to Seder

April 7, 2016, by

From the JTA: After three firebombs hit the synagogue of this poor and heavily Muslim suburb of Paris, municipal authorities advised the local Jewish community to lower its profile. Like dozens of attacks on French synagogues since 2000, the January 2009 incident at the Chabad House of Saint-Denis, which did not result in any injuries, was

Purim extravaganza nixed, haredi rockers give Belgian Jews private show

March 25, 2016, by

From the JTA: When they boarded a plane for Belgium on Monday, the Haredi pop stars Gil and Aryeh Gat were on a mission to bring extra cheer to one of the world’s happiest Jewish events: Purim in Antwerp. The brothers from Eilat, who became unlikely celebrities in Jewish circles worldwide following their 2013 appearance in

Preventing Alzheimer’s By Learning Gemara

March 22, 2016, by

This article is published in a partnership with Supporting Jewish Baby Boomers (STAJE). It is estimated that 1 in 8 Americans over the age of 65 develop some form of dementia. There is still no cure. However, while doctors have not yet succeeded in preventing dementia, it is possible to delay the onset for up to a

The Freedom of Shabbat

March 22, 2016, by

A being is free only when it can determine and limit its activity. —Karl Barth   They had Shabbat at the sleep-away camp I went to when I was ten, and I wanted to take it home with me. I made a pretty challah cover in arts and crafts, and carefully packed it in my

Seattle Jew in Line to Be First Sephardic Jew Granted Spanish Citizenship

March 17, 2016, by

From the Seattle Times: Seattleite Doreen Alhadeff got back from Spain on Feb. 15 with a historic accomplishment in hand: She had become the first American — and now one of only seven people in the world — to reach the final stage of a process that allows Sephardic Jews to become Spanish citizens. A

A Megillah for Everyone

March 9, 2016, by

Yachad designs a Megillah for the deaf and hard-of-hearing; Makes Purim more enjoyable for everyone Purim mandates that every Jew read the Megillah. But what about the deaf community? If they can’t hear the baal korei, they can’t follow along with the rest of the congregation. “Members of the Jewish deaf community approached us lamenting,

© 2016 Orthodox Union | All Rights Reserved