{{location.city}} {{location.region}} {{location.country}}
{{zmanim.engDateString}} / {{zmanim.hebDateString}} / {{zmanim.parsha_shabbos}}
~ {{formatTime(zmanim.sunrise)}} ~ {{formatTime(zmanim.sunset)}} Candles ~ Fri.{{formatTime(zmanim.candle_lighting_shabbos)}}

Life

The Freedom of Shabbat

March 22, 2016, by

A being is free only when it can determine and limit its activity. —Karl Barth   They had Shabbat at the sleep-away camp I went to when I was ten, and I wanted to take it home with me. I made a pretty challah cover in arts and crafts, and carefully packed it in my

Seattle Jew in Line to Be First Sephardic Jew Granted Spanish Citizenship

March 17, 2016, by

From the Seattle Times: Seattleite Doreen Alhadeff got back from Spain on Feb. 15 with a historic accomplishment in hand: She had become the first American — and now one of only seven people in the world — to reach the final stage of a process that allows Sephardic Jews to become Spanish citizens. A

A Megillah for Everyone

March 9, 2016, by

Yachad designs a Megillah for the deaf and hard-of-hearing; Makes Purim more enjoyable for everyone Purim mandates that every Jew read the Megillah. But what about the deaf community? If they can’t hear the baal korei, they can’t follow along with the rest of the congregation. “Members of the Jewish deaf community approached us lamenting,

The Rabbinic Achilles Heel

March 8, 2016, by

When Achilles, the Greek mythological figure, was a baby, it was foreseen that he would die young. In an effort to protect him, his mother Thetis took him to the River Styx, which supposedly contained powers of invincibility. She immersed him into the river, but held him by his heel; as a result, the area

Kansas JSU Teens Meet with Muslim Student Association

March 7, 2016, by

A group of Jewish public school teens in Kansas recently did their part to promote cultural understanding and tolerance, and all it took was a bagel and cream cheese lunch – and a willingness to look beyond stereotypes. The students, members of the Jewish Student Union (JSU) club at Blue Valley West High School, held

Yachad Interns Shine in Community Jobs

March 2, 2016, by

Pearl Markovitz reports for the The Jewish Link of New Jersey: Five months into their new headquarters at the Teaneck Jewish Center, Yachad is brimming with exciting new programs. According to Chani Herrmann, Director of New Jersey Yachad, “Our new and expanded facility has added even greater enthusiasm and excitement to our program for staff

Hungarian Jews Will Rebury Remains of Nazi-Era Victims

February 25, 2016, by

From the Forward: Hungary’s Jewish community received government permission to bury human remains from the Holocaust that were found in the Danube River. The bones, which were discovered five years ago during construction work on the Margaret Bridge, belong to several people who were murdered either by being shot on the banks of the river

The Death of an Icon

February 25, 2016, by

Natan Sharansky is going to be at Beth Tfiloh on March 14.  At the beginning of his book “Fear No Evil,” he recalls a memory from his childhood, the day that Joseph Stalin died.  Solemn music filled the streets form loudspeakers.  Everyone wore black arm bands.  Enormous portraits of Stalin were everywhere.  Sharansky was 5

A Recap From India

February 18, 2016, by

We would like to thank OU Israel Center for organizing our “halachic adventure” to India. We have not usually shared our adventures but felt that this was something so exceptional that the story had to felt and seen by more than the two of us. Experiencing some these historical events like the restoration of the

© 2016 Orthodox Union | All Rights Reserved