For more than a decade, Yachad, the National Jewish Council for Disabilities, has been observing the month of February as NAIM – North American Inclusion Month. This year, OU Torah is joining the cause for the first time with a full pallet of shiurim for the occasion. Some of these come from regular OU Torah contributors, inclusing Rav Zev Leff, Rabbi Aaron E. Glatt, MD, Rabbi Ari Enkin, Rabbi Yitzchok Gutterman, Rabbi Jack Abramowitz (yours truly) and more.
As a treat for regular followers of OU Torah, there are quite a few guest shiurim from contributors with special insight and professional experience in the area of inclusion. These include:
- Rabbi Judah Mischel, on such topics as The Golden Ticket to a World of Pure Imagination and Managing from Afar;
- Stephen Glicksman, PhD, on Tumah, Taharah, and the Value of Inclusion;
- Rabbi Dovid M. Cohen on Lessons From the Father of a Child With Special Needs;
- Rabbi Menachem Penner on Raising a Child with Special Needs in the Jewish Community: One Family’s Journey;
- Rabbi Moshe Tzvi Weinberg on Standing Alone and Together Before Our Creator and The Infinite Value of Every Jew;
- Rabbi Mordechai Torzcyner on Special Needs: What Halacha Expects From the Jewish Community and The Imperative to Aid Students With Special Needs; and
- Rabbi Simcha Hochbaum on אל הנער הזה התפללתי – For This Child I Prayed.
Additionally, Batya Jacob, Yachad’s Director of Educational Support Services, has provided a series of brief divrei Torah on inclusion for the various parshas of the year and the yomim tovim.
These shiurim and articles cover a wide range of themes on halacha and hashkafa as they pertain to inclusion. There may be more to come throughout the month so follow OU Torah online or by using the OU Torah app for iOS and Android. And remember to sign up for OU Torah’s weekly Shavua Tov email to keep up with all of OU Torah’s daily and weekly Torah-study series!