Subscribe to our most popular newsletters
View Full List
Toggle Newsletter Sign up
Search this site
OU Job Board
OU Kosher Certification
Learn About Kosher
Become an OU Kosher Company
OU Kosher Consumers
Restaurants & Food Service
Day School & Education
People with Disabilities
Advocacy & Awareness
Synagogue & Community Services
Become an OU Shul
Safe Homes, Shuls, Schools
Holidays & Zmanim
Nach Yomi / Prophets
Shnayim Mikra / Parsha
Take Five for Torah
Become a Member
Teshuva 5770 Quiz
By Rabbi Yonatan Kaganoff
01. Which of the following is not part of the Teshuva process?
A. Sinning deliberately
B. Admission of one’s sins
D. A commitment not to do those same sins again
E. None of the above
02. Which of the following is not an important modern mussar book?
A. Mesilas Yesharim
B. Cheshbon Hanefesh
C. Ohr Yisroel
D. Ktzot Hachoshen
E. Alei Shor
03. What are not on the list of three things remove evil decree?
E. All of the above
04. What is the highest level of service to Hashem?
A. Fear of the awesomeness of God (Yirat Haromemut)
B. Fear of Punishment of God (Yirat Ha’onesh)
C. Love of the reward for serving God (Ahavat Schar)
D. Love of God (Ahavat Hashem)
E. None of the above
05. Who was not a major figure in the Mussar movement?
A. Rabbi Yisroel Salanter
B. Rabbi Yitzchak Blazer
C. Rabbi Chaim Soloveitchik
D. Rabbi Itzele (Yitzchak) of Petersburg
E. The Alter of Kelm
06. Which of the following is not a standard Mussar Technique?
B. Taanit Dibbur (not speaking for a period of time.)
C. Removing oneself from other people
D. Studying Mussar books
E. Publically berating other people for sinning
07. Which pasuk is the source for the mitzvah of Teshuvah according to the Ramban (Nachmanides)?
A. ” And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.” (Shemot 20:6)
B. "And it shall be, when he shall be guilty in one of these things, that he shall confess that he hath sinned in that thing” (Vayikra 5:5)
C. “Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the LORD your God. And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the
D. “And you should love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might.” (Devarim 6:5)
E. “For this commandment which I command to you on this day, it is not hidden from you, nor is it far off.” (Devarim 30:11)
08. What should you do if you asked forgiveness from someone and they refuse to grant it to you?
A. Forget about it
B. Ask a Rabbinic Court (Beit Din) for forgiveness instead
C. Ask God for forgiveness instead
D. Ask them again for forgiveness with two other people
E. Any of the above
09. What sins does Yom Kippur not forgive?
A. Sins between man and his fellow
B. Sins between man and God
C. Chillul Hashem (Desecrating God’s name)
D. Sins done deliberately
E. All of the above
10. What is the traditional Jewish response to suffering and tragedy?
A. Blaming the exile for our lowly state and suffering.
C. Assuming that it is a result of too much Lashon Harah (gossip).
D. Finding who in the community is sinning and punish or “out” them.
E. Hoping that the Mashiach will solve our problems.
11. Which of the following is not a medieval mussar book?
A. Shaarei Teshuva of Rabbi Yonah of Gerona
B. Sefer Hayashar of Rabbeinu Tam
C. Hilchot Teshuva of Rambam
D. Kuntress Dina D'Garmi by the Ramban
E. Orchot Tzaddikim
12. What is the first step of the Teshuva process?
B. Being rebuked
C. Admitting that they made a mistake
D. Confessing the sin
E. Asking forgiveness
13. Which of the following is not one of the traits of Mesilas Yesharim?
14. Which of the following is not one of the gates of Chovot HaLevavot?
A. Gate of God’s Unity
B. Gate of Trust in God
C. Gate of Fear of God
D. Gate of Humility
E. Gate of Love of God
Ask The Rebbe
Burial in Israel
Guide to Blessings
Luach & Limud
Mesorah Torah Journal
NCSY Conduct Policies
OU West Coast
Plant a Tree
R' Weinreb Shiur
Trees - Plant in Israel
Non-OU Links :
On the Jewish Internet
Alisa Flatow Fund
Har Etzion (Gush)
Israel On Campus Coalition
Jewish Heritage for the Blind
JM In The AM
L'maan B'nos Yisrael
Neshama - Help Save a Life!
Org. for the Res. of Agunot
Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveitchik Inst.
Topics from Daf Yomi
Yeshivat Chovevei Torah
Yeshivot Bnei Akiva
Search the OU:
©2008 Orthodox Union - All Rights Reserved. 11 Broadway, New York, NY 10004
Partner with the OU
- Certification: 212.613.8372
, Kosher Hotline: