AS PASSOVER APPROACHES, A PLETHORA OF OU KOSHER EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS ARE SET FOR FLATBUSH, WASHINGTON HEIGHTS, BOSTON, LAKEWOOD, AND OF COURSE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
The weeks leading up to Passover are very busy in Jewish organizations, just as in Jewish homes, so it is no surprise that OU Kosher will present six rabbis participating in five kashrut education programs in six days, from Tuesday, February 26-Sunday, March 3. They will be followed by another program on March 19 involving a seventh rabbi. Rabbi Yosef Grossman, Senior Educational Rabbinic Coordinator of OU Kashrut, organized the shiurim.
The programs are made possible by a grant from the Harry H. Beren Foundation of New Jersey.
Rabbi Grossman explained, “OU Kosher is most gratified to be called upon by students of Torah and kosher consumers the world over to provide quality kashrut education given by our renowned experts. The Harry H. Beren ASK OU OUTREACH program is proud to partner with Yeshiva Torah Vodaath; the Kollel of Greater Boston; the Melbourne, Australia Beth HaTalmud Kollel; Mt. Sinai Synagogue in Washington Heights; and the world famous Torah citadel, the Lakewood community at Khal Lev Avos for Advanced Seminars in Kashrut. We are extremely pleased to be able to keep pace with the frenzied schedule of shiurim on Pesach and a broad range of other kashrut subjects which the public has requested from us in the hectic pre-Pesach period.
The programs are as follows:
· On Tuesday, February 26, a special ASK OU Outreach program comes to Yeshiva Torah Vodaath in Flatbush beginning at 7:00 p.m. as Rav Yisroel Belsky, Rosh HaYeshiva of Yeshiva Torah Vodaath and OU halachic decisor (posek) will speak in his own yeshiva on “The Mesorah of Kosher Birds,” which will include the Machlokes Rosh and Rashba concerning one community accepting the mesorah of another community. His presentation will be followed by Rabbi Chaim Loike, OU Rabbinic Coordinator and bird expert, presenting a Lehavdil bein Hatameh Uven Hatahor Workshop, and by a Workshop on Making a Proper Shechitah Knife with expert shochtim. (Registration is required for this workshop.)
· In one of OU Kosher’s most unique programs, “The World of Kashrus,” on Thursday, February 28, Rabbi Moshe Klarberg, OU Senior Rabbinic Coordinator and Group Leader of the OU’s Meat Division, will participate in the third of OU Kosher’s skype programs to the Kollel Beth Talmud/Yehuda Fishman Institute in Melbourne, Australia, where it will already be the next day. His topic will be The Kashrus of Meat.
· An OU Kashrut Weekend at Mt. Sinai Jewish Center of Washington Heights, a program in the Harry H. Beren OU Outreach series, and the first two-day Beren Foundation program, will be held, March 2-3. March 2, Shabbat, Parshat Ki Tisa, there will be a Kashrut Q&A Session with Rav Hershel Schachter, OU Kosher posek and Rosh Yeshiva and Rosh Kollel of the RIETS seminary of Yeshiva University; the session will be held during Seudah Shlishit following Mincha at 5:20.
· On Sunday, March 3 at 7:30 p.m., in the same location, Rabbi Loike will speak on Preserving the Mesorah of Endangered Kosher Species of Birds: A Live Presentation (featuring his feathered friends). It will be followed at 8:30 p.m. by Proper Checking of Fruits and Vegetables with Rabbi Yosef Eisen, Rabbinic Administrator of the Vaad HaKashrus of the Five Towns and Rockaway and former OU Rabbinic Coordinator for food service. Both days’ programs will have free admission and are open to both men and women.
· The Kollel of Greater Boston and Harry H. Beren ASK OU Outreach will present a Yom Iyun on Sunday, March 3 featuring Rabbi Nachum Rabinowitz, Senior Rabbinic Coordinator of OU Kosher, on the subject of The Kosher Production of OU Wine and Grape Juice. It will be held at the kollel, 62 Cummings Road in Brighton, MA beginning at 9:30 a.m. The program will feature chavrusa learning with kollel rabbis; a PowerPoint presentation on the Halachot of Kosher Wine and Grape Juice Production; and What’s New for Pesach 2013?
That is not all.
As Passover, which will be observed from March 25 – April 2, approaches, OU Kosher will present a Harry H. Beren ASK OU Outreach Pre-Pesach shiur at Khal Lev Avos in Lakewood, NJ on Tuesday, March 19. Rabbi Nachum Rabinowitz will reprise his presentation on The Kosher Production of OU Wine and Grape Juice. Rabbi Moshe Elefant, COO of OU Kosher, will speak on What’s New for Pesach 2013? The program, which will include a Q&A session, will extend from 12:00 noon to 2:00 p.m.