ORTHODOX UNION PRESENTS FIRST ANNUAL SECURITY AWARENESS WEEK FOR SYNAGOGUES AND SCHOOLS, JULY 23-26
The Orthodox Union, in partnership with the Secure Community Network (SCN) -- the national non-profit homeland security initiative of the Jewish Federations of North America -- and the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, will host its first annual “Security Awareness Week” from Monday, July 23-Thursday, July 26 for synagogues and schools.
Registration is required at www.ou.org/events/synagogue-services-security-week.
According to Yehuda Friedman, Associate Director of the OU Department of Synagogue Community Engagement, “We have reached a moment in which our communities are beginning to think proactively and not reactively, about protecting their institutions. The Security Awareness Week is part of an on-going OU initiative to provide practical, informative resources for synagogues, schools and communities to strengthen their practices and security.”
Each day of the week will include a conference call, online training event or webinar from 3:00- 4:00 p.m. (EDT) to raise security awareness and to provide access to online training programs that will contribute to enhanced security levels within organizations and facilities. Conference call numbers and webinar links will be posted at www.ou.org/security.
Paul Goldenberg, National Director of the Secure Community Network, stated, “Training our people and our staff is one of the best investments we can make towards our collective security. Security Awareness Week is not about instilling fear or alarm, but rather arming and empowering our people with the knowledge, responsibility and confidence to contribute to the safety and security of our facilities and communities.”
Events of the week will include:
Monday, July 23:
Security Awareness Week Introductory Conference Call (30 minutes) featuring:
• Paul Goldenberg, National Director, SCN
• Patrick Daly, Deputy Director, SCN
• Rabbi Judah Isaacs, Director of Community Engagement, Orthodox Union
• Yehuda Friedman, Associate Director, Community Engagement, Orthodox Union
Tuesday, July 24:
Online Training Program: DHS Workplace Security Awareness (60 minutes)
• Interactive video training presentation on workplace safety and security courtesy of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This course provides guidance to individuals and organizations on how to improve the security in the workplace.
Wednesday, July 25:
Online Training Program: DHS Active Shooter: What You Can Do (45 minutes)
• Active shooter response training program. This course provides guidance to individuals, including managers and employees, in order to prepare to respond to an active shooter situation.
Thursday, July 26:
Security Awareness Week Recap Webinar/Conference call (45 minutes)
• Join us for a recap session, discussion on security “best practices” and an “Ask the Expert” forum with leading security professionals as we conclude “Security Awareness Week” This call will be off the record.
OU | Enhancing Jewish Life