DISTINGUISHED MET AREA RABBIS HIT THE ROAD TO PROVIDE ‘REFLECTIONS ON TESHUVA’ TO COLLEAGUES’ CONGREGATIONS, OCTOBER 2, SUNDAY PRIOR TO YOM KIPPUR
Call it “Rabbis Changing Places,” call it “Rabbis on the Road,” call it “Bima to Bima,” or call it simply, “Reflections on Teshuva,” but once again this year, in a program that began in 2005, some of the New York area’s most distinguished pulpit rabbis will exchange places on October 2, the Sunday before Yom Kippur, to provide their “Reflections on Teshuva,” an Orthodox Union signature High Holy Day program. In many cases, the rabbis will be visiting synagogues in their own or neighboring communities.
The sessions will take place between Mincha and Maariv. Teshuva means “repentance,” and is the central theme of the Yamim Nara’im – the Days of Awe -- encompassing Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.
Reflections on Teshuva is a program of the Orthodox Union’s Department of Community Services | Jewish Community Programs. According to Frank Buchweitz, OU National Director of Community Services and Special Projects, “This unique arrangement will allow these experienced and always stimulating rabbis to share profound thoughts on a profound subject – teshuva -- with new audiences. The period between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur is a time of personal introspection and this OU program will present a unique opportunity for communities to hear from visiting rabbis to supplement what they have learned from their own shul’s Rav.”
The schedule is as follows:
• Riverdale/Manhattan: Rabbi Dr. Jonathan Rosenblatt, Riverdale Jewish Center, to West Side Institutional Synagogue, Manhattan; Rabbi Shlomo Einhorn, West Side Institutional Synagogue, to Riverdale Jewish Center;
• Manhattan: Rabbi Allen Schwartz, Congregation Ohab Zekek, Manhattan, to Young Israel of the West Side (Manhattan); Rabbi Dovid Cohen, Young Israel of the West Side, to Congregation Ohab Zedek;
• Queens: Rabbi Yoel Schonfeld, Young Israel of Kew Gardens Hills to Young Israel of Hillcrest; Rabbi Dr. Richard Weiss, Young Israel of Hillcrest, to Young Israel of Kew Gardens Hills;
• Brooklyn: Rabbi Etan Tokayer, Kingsway Jewish Center, Brooklyn to Young Israel of Flatbush; Rabbi Kenneth Auman, Young Israel of Flatbush, to Kingsway Jewish Center;
• Five Towns: Rabbi Moshe Teitelbaum, Young Israel of Lawrence-Cedarhurst, to Congregation Bais Tefilah, Woodmere; Rabbi Shaya Richmond, Congregation Bais Tefilah, to Young Israel of Lawrence-Cedarhurst;
• Five Towns: Rabbi Kenneth Hain, Congregation Beth Sholom, Lawrence, to Young Israel of North; Woodmere; Rabbi Yehuda Septimus, Young Israel of North Woodmere, to Congregation Beth Sholom;
• Queens/New Jersey: Rabbi Marc Penner, Young Israel of Holliswood (Queens) to Congregation Keter Torah, Teaneck; Rabbi Shalom Baum, Congregation Keter Torah, to Young Israel of Holliswood;
• Queens: Rabbi Aryeh Sokoloff, Kew Gardens Adath Yeshurun Synagogue to Young Israel of Forest Hills; Rabbi Leonard Oppenheimer, Young Israel of Forest Hills, to Kew Gardens Adath Yeshurun Synagogue;
• Great Neck/Queens: Rabbi Dale Polakoff, Great Neck Synagogue to Young Israel of Jamaica Estates; Rabbi Shlomo Hochberg, Young Israel of Jamaica Estates, to Great Neck Synagogue;
• Riverdale/Westchester: Rabbi Shmuel Hain, Young Israel Ohab Zedek of North Riverdale/Yonkers, to Young Israel of New Rochelle; Rabbi Reuven Fink, Young Israel of New Rochelle, to Young Israel Ohab Zedek of North Riverdale/Yonkers;
• New Jersey: Rabbi Eliezer Zwickler, Ahawas Achim Bnai Jacob & David, West Orange, to Congregation Tifereth Israel, Passaic; Rabbi Aaron Cohen, Congregation Tifereth Israel to Ahawas Achim Bnai Jacob & David;
• New Jersey: Rabbi Yaakov Luban, Congregation Ohr Torah, Edison, NJ, to Congregation Ahavas Achim, Highland Park, NJ; Rabbi Steven Miodownik, Congregation Ahavas Achim, to Congregation Ohr Torah;
• New Jersey: Rabbi Uri Goldstein, Ahavat Achim Orthodox Congregation, Fair Lawn, NJ to Congregation Shomrei Torah, Fairlawn; Rabbi Benjamin Yudin, Congregation Shomrei Torah, to Ahavat Achim Orthodox Congregation;
• Monsey: Rabbi Ari Jacobson, Young Israel of Monsey and Wesley Hills, to Congregation Bais Torah, Suffern; Rabbi Yisroel Gottlieb, Congregation Bais Torah, to Young Israel of Monsey and Wesley Hills.
In a three-way arrangement encompassing Long Island and Washington Heights, Rabbi Jonathan Muskat, of Young Israel of Oceanside is going to Mount Sinai Jewish Center of Washington Heights; Rabbi Dovid Weinberger, Congregation Shaaray Tefila, Lawrence, to Young Israel of Oceanside; and Rabbi Yaacov Lerner, Young Israel of Great Neck, to Congregation Shaaray Tefila.
“Hannah Chornock-Farkas, Program Associate in the Department of Community Services, ably coordinated the intricate scheduling of the program,” said Frank Buchweitz. For further information, contact 212-613-8188.
OU | World's Largest Jewish Resource