OU TO PROVIDE INSIGHTS INTO CURRENT ISSUES FACING THE LOCAL VA’AD HAKASHRUT, AT IN-DEPTH SEMINAR, MAY 1
To offer insights into Current Issues Facing the Local Va’ad HaKashrut (certifying agency), the Orthodox Union Kosher Division’s Harry H. Beren ASK program will present a Kashrut Yom Iyun — a day of in-depth analysis — at OU Headquarters, 11 Broadway, Tuesday, May 1 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The free seminar is designed for members of the Rabbinical Council of America, who will have concluded their annual convention the previous day.
Funding for the program has been provided by the Harry H. Beren Foundation of Lakewood, NJ in memory of Mr. Beren, z”l. The Beren Foundation funds a wide variety of educational initiatives of OU Kosher.
According to Rabbi Yosef Grossman, Director of ASK and Kashrut Education at the OU, “This Yom Iyun will provide RCA rabbis of the local Va’adei HaKashrut with the latest OU methods of maintaining high standards in the important issues the Va’ad is faced with on a daily basis as it certifies local establishments. These would include checking vegetables for insect infestation, securing the integrity of the kosher meat supply, and other such issues which involve the local butcher, restaurant, bakery and caterer. The RCA rabbis in attendance, who are either members of a Va’ad HaKashrut or work with them, will benefit from hearing from the OU’s experts in this field.”
Sessions include the following:
• Current Issues Facing the Local Va’ad HaKashrut, with Rabbi Yaakov Luban, OU Executive Rabbinic Coordinator; Rabbi Congregation Ohr Torah in Edison, NJ; and Rabbi Yoel Schonfeld, OU Rabbinic Coordinator, and Group Leader; Assistant Rabbi, Young Israel of Kew Garden Hills, NY;
• Food Service Kashering — A Demonstration, with Rabbi Moshe Perlmutter, OU Rabbinic Field Representative, kosherization expert;
• Protecting the Integrity of the Kosher Meat Supply Chain, with Rabbi Moshe Elefant, Chief Operating Officer, OU Kosher;
• Lunch Session, Ask the Rabbi, chaired by Rabbi Elefant with the participation of OU Rabbinic Coordinators;
• Bishul Akum — Shiur Halachah with Practical Applications, with Rabbi Menachem Genack, Chief Executive Officer, OU Kosher;
• The Shul Kiddush — Is it Really Kosher and Shomer Shabbos? with Rabbi Dov Schreier, OU Rabbinic Coordinator specializing in Foodservice; Rabbi Young Israel of North Bellmore, NY;
• Bedikas Toyloim, with Rabbi Yosef Eisen, Rabbinic Administrator Va’ad of the Five Towns and Far Rockaway; Rabbi Kollel Bnei Torah;
• Nehemanus and Mirsas–Shiur Halachah with Practical Applications, with Rabbi Herschel Schachter, Rosh Yeshivah and Rosh Kollel, Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary, Yeshiva University; OU Kosher Halachic Consultant.
RCA members are urged to register for the Yom Iyun when they register for the RCA Convention at email@example.com.
For further information, contact Rabbi Grossman at 212-613-8212, or firstname.lastname@example.org.