Israel History - Yom Ha’atzmaut Quiz
01. Which of the following was NOT a military group in the 1940’s in Israel?
E. The Stern Gang
02. Who did not fight Israel in 1948?
03. Who was not a 19th Century Zionist leader?
A. Rabbi Zvi Hirsch Kalischer
B. Rabbi Avraham Yitzchak HaCohen Kook
C. Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch
D. Yitzchak Yaacov Reines
E. Theodor Herzl
04. What did the White Paper establish?
A. Israel as a Jewish homeland
B. Jewish self-government for Palestine
C. A Jewish division within the British army
D. Strict quotas on Jewish immigration
E. Uganda as a Jewish homeland
05. How many Jews were killed in the 1948 War of Independence?
06. Which country was the main supplier of arms to Israel in the earlier decades of the State
E. United Kingdom
07. What happened on May 14th, 1948?
A. The United Nations voted to establish the State of Israel
B. A cease fire was declared between Israel and the Arab Nations
C. Israel declared its independence
D. The British Mandate over Palestine Expired
E. C & D
08. Who was the leading Israeli General in the 1948 War of Israeli Independence?
A. Yigal Yadin
B. Yitzchak Rabin
C. Ariel Sharon
D. Moshe Dayan
E. Chaim Weitzman
09. What was the name of Herzl`s book translated into English?
A. The Jews Redeemed
B. My People, My Land
C. The Jewish People
D. The Jewish State
E. Alone No More
10. Echad Ha’am is associated with what movement?
A. Cultural Zionism
B. Religious Zionism
D. Labor Zionism
E. Christian Zionism
11. Chaim Weitzman was
A. Israel’s first President
B. Israel’s first Prime Minister
C. Israel’s first ambassador to the United Nations
D. Israel’s first ambassador to the United States
E. Israel’s first Minister of Defense
12. What did the Peel Commission decide
A. To force all Jewish European refugees to Cypress
B. To partition British Mandate Palestine into separate Jewish and Arab lands
C. To expel all Jews from Palestine
D. To expel all Arabs from Palestine
E. To create a single joint Jewish and Arab country
13. What did the Balfour Declaration establish
A. Jerusalem as Israel’s eternal capital
B. Israel as a Jewish homeland
C. Strict quotas for Jewish immigration
D. Jewish militias in Israel
E. British control over Mandate Palestine
14. What was not part of Israel in 1949?
15. The Haftorah of Yom Haatzmaut is from
A. Ezekiel about the battle of Gog and Magog
B. Zechariah about the final battles against Israel’s neighbors
C. Isaiah about the Messianic Age
D. Jeremiah about the return of Jews from Exile
E. Joshua about the original conquest of the land of Israel
16. The Jewish government before 1948 was called
A. The Palestinian Agency
B. The Jewish Agency
C. The Palestinian Authority
D. The Jewish Authority
E. The Judenstaat