OU Presents Free Program on ‘Sandwich Generation,’ 2/25 in Queens
Taking on new responsibilities for aging parents, while caring for their own children and providing proper time management between them, has placed great financial and emotional responsibilities on the so-called “Sandwich Generation” -- referring to those who have simultaneous commitments of raising their children and helping elderly parents as they deal with the issues of later life.
Concerned with the difficulties facing “the Sandwich Generation,” the Orthodox Union Department of Community Services | Jewish Community Programs, in partnership with the Young Israel of Holliswood, Young Israel of Jamaica Estates, and Metropolitan Jewish Health Systems, will present a communal conference on “Responsibilities of Kibud Av Va’Em.”
The free program will be held on Saturday night, February 25 at 8:00 p.m. at the Young Israel of Holliswood, located at 86-25 Francis Lewis Boulevard in Holliswood.
Declared Frank Buchweitz, Director of OU Community Services, “The ‘Sandwich Generation’ is increasingly experiencing a new set of challenges, which previous generations did not face. The OU is working to prepare and successfully navigate the many challenges and commitments; be solution-oriented; and serve as a catalyst to further address this multifaceted issue on a communal level.”
Topics to be covered include “Halachic Responsibility of Kibud Av Va’Em;” “Communication, Responsibilities and Decision-making;” “Emotional Factors for the Caregiver, Families, and the Patient;” “How to Understand and Navigate Health System Services;” “How to Research Physicians and Appropriate Care;” “Financial and Legal Aspects;” “Dealing with Insurance Companies;” and “What Resources are Available and How to Access Them.”
Keynote speakers include:
• Rabbi Marc Penner -- Rav of Young Israel of Holliswood;
• Rabbi Shlomo Hochberg -- Rav of Young Israel of Jamaica Estates;
• Martin A. Grossman, M.D. – Director of Palliative Care Division at Forest Hills Hospital and Medical Director, Inpatient Unit of Peninsula Hospital Center;
• Leba Sonneberg, BSW – Social Worker of Geriatrics and Long Term Care;
• Eytan Kobre, Esq. – Eldercare Attorney;
• Toby Weiss, MSOD – Director of Cultural Sensitivity and Jewish Programming at Metropolitan Jewish Health Systems.
For further information and resources, contact the Department of Community Services of the Orthodox Union at www.oucommunity.org or 212-613-8300.
OU | Enhancing Jewish Life