OU Kosher Adds New Feature to Popular App: FAQs
The OU Kosher App, which burst on the scene prior to Passover and was downloaded more than 10,000 times by consumers preparing for the holiday, has reached its next stage of development with the addition of more than 20 FAQ’s – Frequently Asked Questions – compiled by Rabbi Benjamin Geiger, the voice of OU Kosher’s Consumer Hotline, and Rabbi Eli Eleff, Rabbinic Coordinator and Consumer Relations Administrator. The free App is available for download to iPhones, iPads, iPod Touch, and Androids.
The responses were prepared by Rabbi Yaakov Luban, OU Kosher Executive Rabbinic Coordinator.
The questions include:
• Why are there products that list fish as an ingredient, but only bear an OU, while other fish products have “OU-Fish” on the label?
• Are grape juice and wine ingredients used in OU certified products such as mustard and fruit cups always mevushal (cooked)?
• If the OU certifies a factory-produced brand of ice cream, can I eat that brand if it is sold from behind the counter at an ice cream shop?
• Why does the OU not use a “DE” symbol?
• Can I drink coffee at a restaurant? Can I drink coffee while on the road?
According to Rabbi Moshe Zywica, Executive Rabbinic Coordinator, who supervised the inclusion of the FAQ’s on the App, additional Q&A’s will be added on a regular basis.
Rabbi Zywica singled out Gary Magder, OU Director of Digital Media, for overseeing the technical details required to upgrade the App, as well as Rabbis Luban, Geiger and Eleff for their work in producing the questions and the responses. OU Kosher CEO Rabbi Menachem Genack and COO Rabbi Moshe Elefant provided overall direction for the project.
There are additional uses for the App. In addition to the ability to search for more than 600,000 products, manufactured at nearly 8,000 plants in more than 90 countries around the world – it provides the most up-to-date kosher alerts; new product updates; and allows easy access to ask a question or call the OU Kosher information hotline.
To download the App, simply select “OU Kosher” from the iTunes App Store or use a direct link to the App from the OU’s website at www.ou.org/apps.
Alternatively, the application can be downloaded directly from the following URL address: http://itunes.apple.com/ke/app/ou-kosher/id491138771?mt=8.
OU | Enhancing Jewish Life