Ou and HANC To present Positive Jewish Parenting Workshop, Saturday Evening, December 6
The evening will be divided up into workshops for parents. While some workshops will be for parents of elementary, middle and high school students, some of the meetings will be solely for parents of a specific age group, such as high school age teens.
Frank Buchweitz, National Director of the OU Department of Community Services and Special Projects, declared, “Parenting presents many challenges, especially in today’s day and age. The Positive Jewish Parenting program of the OU provides practical approaches in workshop format addressing daily issues impacting upon the home.”
Mrs. Sari Bacon, Associate Principal, HANC, declared, “HANC is a school that is committed to reaching the whole child. We have created an atmosphere of respect where we instill in our students the tools for building character within the context of academic excellence. Our parents are our key partners in this endeavor, which is why we are committed to bringing events such as the Positive Jewish Parenting program to our community.”
Well-known experts in their respective fields will be coordinating and speaking at the workshops. They include:
• Annette Berger, Psy.D. , a school psychologist at the Rosenbaum Yeshiva of North Jersey, who also maintains a private practice in Teaneck treating children, adolescents, and adults ;
• Dovid Lieberman, Ph.D., an award-winning author and internationally recognized leader in the field of human resources and interpersonal relationships;
• David Pelcovitz, Ph.D., Professor, Azrieli Graduate School of Jewish Education, Yeshiva University, and a well-known lecturer on a variety of topics related to the psychological impact of trauma and loss and child and adolescent behavior problems;
• Gila Schwerd, Psy.D., a clinical psychologist in private practice specializing in adolescent and adult psychotherapy who works for the Jewish Board of Family and Children services;
• Nosson Westreich, M.D., a child and adolescent psychiatrist and Assistant Professor, University of Toronto Medical School, and Director of Inpatient Adolescent Regional Unit, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre;
• Gila Zelinger, LCSW a clinical social worker for the Family Care Medical Center in Monsey, NYbuch, who also maintains a private practice in neighboring Wesley Hills; and
• Slovie Jungreis Wolff, a noted lecturer, author, and leader of Hineni Young Couples, and daughter of Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis, founder of Hineni.
A sampling of the workshops include the following topics:
• Establishing Limits with your school-age child: When to say no, for elementary and middle school;
• Consistent Parenting in an Inconsistent World, for pre-school-grade 3;
• Setting Limits and Disciplining your teenager, for middle and high school age; and
• Helping Adolescents Deal with Stress in Uncertain Economic Times; for middle and high school age.
For more information or to register for the event, contact Loren Daitch at firstname.lastname@example.org, Debra Genuth at Debbie.email@example.com, or Marj Shushter at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in bringing a Positive Jewish Parenting Program to your community, contact Mr. Buchweitz at 212-613-8188.