Hi there! I hope that you are all well.
In the age of information, there is a science to everything. In a new and ineresting book called “Enchantment”, a book the deals with building relationships in business, the author has a informative section on how to shake hands. This is useful information for Rabbis, Presidents, and all official representatives of the synagogue.
Here is the formula (in the book he actually has a mathematic formula!):
1) Make eye contact throughout
2) Use the appropriate verbal syntax
3) Sincere smile
4) Firm grip
5) Stand at a moderate distance
6) make sure your hand is cool, dry, and smooth.
7) Use a medium level of vigor
8) Shake for no longer than 2-3 seconds
See you soon,
Rabbi Shlomo Einhorn
- Rabbi of West Side Institutional Synagogue
- Director of WINGS, a synagogue consulting group of the Orthodox Union